Monday, April 23, 2012

Wish the Leadership in Washington DC was Rising to their Occasion....

In February of this year, my lovely daughter and I had an opportunity to spend a weekend in DC.  It was a freezing weekend, with rain and snow and wind and howling.  The snow fell and the wind blew my umbrella backwards.  But as I had never been all over DC as an adult without small children, I wanted to walk the whole city. And walk we did.  All the Smithsonian ground we could cover, the guided Capital tour and the Senate and House office buildings.  So on the one beautiful, but chilly morning, off we went.  And yes, I wanted my photo in front of the IRS.  They are the new friendly IRS.  They said so.  And I believe they are trying to work on their image.



come on, you have to think the IRS Building is cute  http://www.irs.gov/

Beside, Look how cute I look at the IRS!  Almost like I belonged there!





We own PNC stock and I wasn't going to let the opportunity to get a photo of this bank pass me by, even though Morgan said it was boring (it's paying her tuition!).  And what a cute bank!  Everyone should get to see the smallness and the largeness presented all at once.  It is so narrow, next to the others, but so majestic in it's slim presentation.... Banks should hire me to help with their image!


 And yet, I digress.  So this is day one (below) with me arriving at the Dulles Airport.  I was so impressed with the airplane in the air and the glass escalators...

 But alas, the ride in looked like this and it was like this the whole first day in DC.  Boo.





 I wasn't aware, but I can tell you it doesn't take more than one reading to know, that it was - and it was important- and it should never ever ever happen again.  May the next generation remember and not make the same mistakes.....
 This is the view from the hotel.  I cannot tell you how moving it was - is. There is no feeling of patriotism like seeing one's capital. And to the tech geeks of the world, please find a safe way for all of the citizens who pay for this building and all those working in it to stay safe and to allow us safely in again.....
 So coming from bo hunk little Tallahassee, this is quite the grid to understand.
 To the Tallahassee Board of Realtors http://www.tbrnet.org/ my hotel looked at the DC building of the same.  See the flag?



 The hotel was lovely.

 The doorman were the best and they know everyone and every secret and they are special people.
 The botanical garden was beautiful but warm, very warm, place to have a break from the cold walk.


 So goofy daughter decides to take pictures while I am taking pictures



If the President Obama http://www.barackobama.com was savvy in marketing, I think he would put my precious daughter on his next campaign ad :)

Oh back to the story, so we go running around DC and find a museum that lets us in just in the nick of time and this big fancy dinner is being given for Sand Capital Management http://www.sandscapital.com/ and they are having a fabulous affair that looks like a princess is about to enter.... should have bought their stock :)


 Look at the symmettry of the isle and the tables with the chairs that look like they are made of icey icicles.

 Meanwhile, back at the museum, there are statutes and busts and lovely things to admire



 I hate to say it but I am sure that these folks would have been better at yoga than me ....

 Cool portrait made of little hexagons and triangles and dots... and it looks blurry, then it looks clear and it is a statement of the man...
 Blurry
 The President who did believe in God for real, that didn't use the pulpit for or against the people, the President that took us through a hard time. http://www.cartercenter.org/news/experts/jimmy_carter.html He is a really good man.  And we are lucky to have had him and to still have him....


For my generation, this was an amazing man, amazing portrait and very moving to see.  I can still see my father break down hearing the fate of the President.  Some moments in history, one would rather not have to know.....
 And then there is tricky Dick, the man who set the tone for the middle of the road of what is tolerable as long as you win.....
 And the airport ride home.  And the best part, I went with my daughter, and I know these trips are precious and soon to be gone....  I love you Morgan and thanks for slugging through the snow and ice and wind.
Loved the visit, loved the experience.  Make you want to be an American and love this great country.  Have to tell you seeing the shuttle fly was right up there with seeing the Supreme Court.  And my thanks to Senator Bill Nelson http://billnelson.senate.gov/ for arranging the tour tickets.  What a nice staff he has!

No comments:

Post a Comment